"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." ~ Matthew 5:14-16

Thursday, November 18, 2010

A burden so heavy...

I heard something on my favorite radio station, KLove, the other day that hit me really hard. That's what I love about KLove, it's constantly challenging the way I think and the way I see myself, the world, and God. I loved it so much that I just had to share it because it's one of the truest things I've ever heard and I could truly relate.

It's from the blog of Christian musican Matt Hammitt of Sanctus Real. His son, Bowen, was born with an underdeveloped heart and was diagnosed with a rare congenital heart defect called Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS). I believe he was recently released from the hospital and made his way home to his family at nine weeks old.

This excerpt is from a book that Matt read the other day called "Wrestling With An Angel" by Greg Lucas. He writes that it's "a story of love, disability, and the lessons of grace".

"I hear religious minded people say all the time with good intentions, 'God will never place a burden on you so heavy that you cannot possibly carry it.'
Really?
My experience is that God will place a burden on you so heavy that you cannot possibly carry it alone. He will break your back and your will. He will buckle your legs until you fall flat beneath the crushing weight of your load. All the while He will walk beside you waiting for you to come to the point where you must depend on him.
'My power is made perfect in your weakness,' He says, as we strain under our burden.
Whatever the burden, it might indeed get worse, but know this - God is faithful. And while we change and get old, He does not. When we get weaker, He remains strong. And in our weakness and humility, He offers us true, lasting, transforming, and undeserved grace."

- Greg Lucas

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is well said, real, genuine, . . . and TRUE. God wants us broken and needing Him. He wants us to experience Him and ALL that He has to offer. He wants to be our ALL in ALL. THanks for sharing this K.

    ReplyDelete