"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." ~ Matthew 5:14-16

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Day 1 of Vacation Destination: Florida

We're on our first vacation in ... oh... about 6 1/2 years. At least that's what I've been telling people. But the truth is, I think my definition of "vacation" is just changing. I used to think a good vacation had everything to do with the destination, which for me, required sand, sun, water, a faraway place, and... a decent dose of alcohol.

But now that we've made our first stop in good ol' Tennessee to visit some of our best friends, I realize I've had many vacations in the past several years. Every time I come here, and have the opportunity to sit in the stillness of the country (and it's very still at 6:30am, which is what time Sam had me up this morning), I feel refreshed! There's something about a sky full of stars and the quiet steps of a deer family at dawn eating their breakfast right outside the window just as the sun is starting to peak through the trees, that makes me stop and just be still. I don't have much of a chance to "be still"in my daily life. Benjamin and Samuel no longer take naps at the same time and they of course keep me very busy!

But it's not just the quiet innocence of the place that I am right now that refreshes my spirit, but the presence of some of our best friends. It's reconnecting. And that's something I now realize has become more important than my environment.

After living away from family and close friends for the past 3 years, I've come to recognize how much I really miss them. And how refreshing it really is to have that quality, face-to-face time whenever I can get it. Even if it's just for a night or two. Email and facebook are great, and phone calls are even better, but none of it replaces the connections I make in person, when I can see another set of eyes looking back at me.

Two weeks ago I went to a reunion, where 12 great friends gathered for the first time in about 4 years. To get that many people together at the same time, and with all of our 9 kids, was nothing short of awesome. Even though it was only for 2 days, it was time away from every day life. It was an escape from the 4 walls of my own home. It was many moments of laughter and reminiscing and reconnecting... in the exotic town of Carmel, IN!

There were no beaches or palm trees, but plenty of friends, and those, I've decided, are some of the best vacations.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are having a great time on vacation. Enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete