"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." ~ Matthew 5:14-16

Friday, April 23, 2010

Prayer

This prayer really struck me the first time I read it while studying the book "Unbinding Your Heart" by Martha Grace Reese, and I find myself going back to it and praying it over and over again, so I wanted to share it. It reminds me a little of the song "Unanswered Prayers" by Garth Brooks. It rings so true in my life, and as I've recently learned, God is always in control. As a parent to a child, He knows best. He knows what I need a lot better than I do! I'm always amazed at the things He's trying to teach me at just the right time in my life... when I'm ready to learn:

I asked for strength that I might achieve;
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health that I might do greater things;
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy;
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men;
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life;
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I had asked for,
but everything that I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself my unspoken prayers were answered;
I am, among all men, most richly blessed.

~ Unknown soldier, 19th century, American Civil War

No comments:

Post a Comment