"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." ~ Matthew 5:14-16

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Spring Brings New Life

Finally... the long awaited Spring is here! I'm not sure it'll be staying for the long haul yet, but I'll take what I can get for now. I've always thought my favorite season was summer - I'm a total warm weather person. I'm happiest outside in the sunshine... taking long walks, swimming, biking, playing at the park with my boys, basking in the sun with a good book (which I admit I don't get to do very often these days as a mother of 2)... but I may reconsider my favorite season to be Spring.

After a long, cold, dreary winter, when Spring finally comes it brings so much... LIFE! I love those first really mild days, when I can walk outside and take a deep breath of the sweet spring air and fresh cut grass, and drive with the windows down and let the wind blow through my hair (although Benjamin announced this morning that he does not like it so windy in the car, so I had to settle for a slight breeze). I love seeing the trees in bloom, after so much gloom and brown and blah, to start seeing buds on the trees again brings the promise of green. As I walked into the grocery store yesterday there was a rush of sweet aroma coming from the floral area. I'm usually not one who likes to spend money on flowers, but I just couldn't resist slipping a small pot of purple Hyacinth into my cart.

Ahhhhhh... Spring!

Spring just feels... good! And it feels good to feel good! It's refreshing, it's warm, and yes, it's also often rainy, as it was today. A friend just reminded me the other day that April showers bring May flowers! So if the rain is going to help the beauty of Spring along, then bring it on!

Spring brings a promise of hope, of good things to come... better things! Someone told me today that for her, Spring feels like being "reborn". I thought that was a great way to think of it, because it does feel that way when the warm sun shines on my face for the first time and the sweet fragrance in the air fills my whole being. I can't help but smile.

And with Spring comes Easter, when we celebrate new life that we have in Jesus Christ. On Easter I will celebrate His resurrection, that he died for me. He sacrificed himself to save me. And he rose from the dead for me, so that I would have new life! Eternal life by His grace. He loves me that much! Now that is something to celebrate!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." ~Romans 5:8

No comments:

Post a Comment